'Dawn to Dusk is for pussies' run

tell us all about your ride
Mike Wain

'Dawn to Dusk is for pussies' run

Post by Mike Wain »

A muddy hill and some muddy people and muddy bikes somewhere in mudland.
A muddy hill and some muddy people and muddy bikes somewhere in mudland.
IMG_3020.JPG (172.66 KiB) Viewed 6019 times
13/11/16
Chris B and I were signed up for the 2nd ever run by the new N Hereford group and were busy loading bikes into my van in the dark at 0630! The actual run started 0900 at Shobdon airfield near Leominster, 8 others were there including run leader Gray. The run meandered over the area to the N and W and included lunch in Bishop's Castle filling station followed by a poo stop in their amazing public toilet which features the kind of technology you just don't expect to find in the depths of the Marches! The day before had featured lots of drizzle so everything was completely sodden but the river crossings were all still low enough to be doable. I'd gone with trials tyres and that was completely wrong for the area and conditions - bike ruts down the middle were absolutely horrible! The lane into New Radnor features Strata Florida like water filled ruts at the best of times and on this occasion they were even deeper than usual. Someone had trimmed the hedge back and left a ledge to get around the biggest one but it wasn't quite wide enough and my bars hit a stout branch in the hedge and I was left with no option but to flick the kill switch and jump off into the 2' deep puddle that was another 1' below the ledge height, luckily getting far enough into it to avoid the falling bike which ended up in it behind me and upside down! I got out pretty quickly but was well soaked and forced to admit at the lunch stop that MX gear wasn't really right, even given the warm dry weather, and resorted to the goretex. I'm normally very good at not falling off but think I equalled all the previous falls this year put together on this one run, while still having nowhere near the most falls - it was very, very slippery!
A rare bit of grass that's dry enough to stand on without sinking in!
A rare bit of grass that's dry enough to stand on without sinking in!
IMG_3021.JPG (115.84 KiB) Viewed 6019 times
Gray was constantly chivvying us along to try to achieve the planned 100 mile route. In the end we shortened it considerably and still did over 120 miles, finally rolling back into the airfield well after dark and feeling quite knackered but somewhat smug about having recently modified the van with an array of LEDs in the back that make loading as easy in the dark as in broad daylight!

It is not an area that many people from outside the area seem to ride so often. There are a fair number of lanes but spread over a largish area so a bit more road work than some areas. Despite being the foothills of Wales there is very little rock and lots of rutted grass lanes but it still offers a good mix through the day, a massive variety of potential routes and a few exceptionally long routes with virtually no blacktop. It was my second ride in the area this year and I only recognised 3-4 lanes in the entire day so if you've never thought to go there give it a go, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Looking N - Weather on the say was ideal, no rain, dry, good viz.
Looking N - Weather on the say was ideal, no rain, dry, good viz.
IMG_3022.JPG (156.91 KiB) Viewed 6019 times
And all only about 90 mins away from Bristol! Well it is from my side of Bristol anyway! Fish and Chips on the way home in Hereford were extremely welcome and when we finally unloaded at what seemed like nearly bed time the TTR was easily carrying the most mud its ever carried despite numerous massive puddle dunkings!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike: TTR250 & PE175 & Freeride 250R

Chris Barrable

Re: 'Dawn to Dusk is for pussies' run

Post by Chris Barrable »

All good lanes. Similar & overlapping the northern section of the Hay on Wye run but further up. Dave Vaughan should remember the bit up through the forest MTB area.

Ian Trevor Brooking

Post by Ian Trevor Brooking »

Great report mike and thanks for the picture's would love to visit that area in the new year if you could organize another ride with the North Hereford Trf group in that area we are always looking for new adventures.
Beta Enduro Motorcycle Dealer for Bristol Classic Enduro
Beta 200RR Racing
Scorpa T Ride
Yamaha WR 250 2T 1991
Yamaha RD500 LC
if only there was one bike that did it all

Mike Wain

Post by Mike Wain »

I had a chat with Gray and he says fine and asks that we get in touch some time after Feb as he's not free till then, and depending on weather. I think this is pretty sensible, Chris will probably confirm a very high percentage of the lanes there are the type that get really sodden and squidgy and damage quickly when it's very wet. Despite being on the edge of Wales we encountered surprisingly little rock/gravel, quite different to the more usual Welsh haunts. Feel free to remind me closer to the time!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike: TTR250 & PE175 & Freeride 250R

Ian Trevor Brooking

Post by Ian Trevor Brooking »

Great sounds good thanks mike.
Beta Enduro Motorcycle Dealer for Bristol Classic Enduro
Beta 200RR Racing
Scorpa T Ride
Yamaha WR 250 2T 1991
Yamaha RD500 LC
if only there was one bike that did it all