Shropshire weekender wild camp

tell us all about your ride
Chris Barrable

Shropshire weekender wild camp

Post by Chris Barrable »

Me and Stu Bowdich rode from Chepstow 10am friday up Usk valley to the east of Abergavenny on some familiar lanes but then took n some new ones. Pub at lunchtime for Butty Bach and baguette in Grosmont - a beautiful village with a great little river splash and hill climb - sadly to a locked gate.
Found some bloody hard new lanes up the Golden Valley (one killed me off & we had to turn back due to a upward cliff with a tree across it!) It would be a challenge to decend! Bit like Pant Glas on steroids with a nettle forest for good measure. Stu got properly brambled across his chin !! :lol:
Evening meal a pint or two at Wigmore on the A4110 east of Knighton. Fed and watered and washed (me anyway) we then found a serene field for wild camping. Stu was on planet hot and only brought a tarpaulin to sleep under; presumably under the impression that cause they do that in Spain it would be ok in Wales!! :lol: :lol: Needless to say I dont think he slept too well! It was a dry starlit night with owls hooting and distant dogs barking.

Day 2 Sat - up at 7am & on the trail at 730am. Its brilliant riding lanes at that early in the morning knowing no one is about! Decended a lovely track past Stokesey castle to Craven Arms for breakfast at Subway as the only place open before 8am. As always the sandwhich was cheap and tasted as such. Some folk love em tho.
Todays ride took in some longer trails over the Wenlock Edge and on to the Long Myndd next to Church Stretton. If you havent been there you should go. Its a lovely place a bit like Exmoor, but with trails! It pissed down with rain for a few hours there just to remind us it is near Wales. Met a local guy sho was showing a paying punter the lanes - neither was TRF but hopefully they will join.
Turning south after another pub lunch past Bishops Castle and more new lanes we returned to the northern lanes of the Hay on Wye loop and tried out more new stuff. A couple of particularly hard trails seemed to kill off Stuarts remaining energy levels and by the time we got to a great viewpoint near New Radnor to camp Stu looked wistfully at the setting sun and said "bugger this, I'm going home". And so he did.
Being the sort of chap I am I stayed the night listening to the owls and the sheep.

Day 3 Sun - up at 730, on the trail at 8am. Found another good trail just off the Hay loop which I might try to incorporate. Followed by some familiar ones. Taking it easy as I am solo riding, didnt meet a soul all day. Got to Steel Horse cafe nr Usk for 2 pm full Welsh Breakfast & a gallon of tea! Again easy trails on way back to Chepstow and then home.

Total 400m in 3 days. No issues with bikes or weather (excepting a downpoor for a couple of hours only).
Cost - 4 meals/beer + fuel. probably under £100 for 3 days trail riding.

John Presland

Re: Shropshire weekender wild camp

Post by John Presland »

Looks and sound like a good adventure Chris, I fancy giving this ago however am going to have to get some proper kit like a tent, sleeping bag & a bed roll....tarpaulin :roll:
Beta XTrainer
Montesa 4Ride
Honda TLR 200
Montesa 4RT
iT 250
Tel 07973530959

Ian Abram

Post by Ian Abram »

Bloody Hell Chris your either raving mad or a really cool dude I can't make my mind up
It does look like cheddar !
Anyway well done to you and Stu not supprised he didn't do a second night should of found a B&B I think I would of ,your the club's very own Bear Grills
Do you drink wee ?
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Chris Barrable

Post by Chris Barrable »

A wee dram has passed my lips I must admit :ugeek: