The Sphinx LDT

tell us all about your ride
Rich Beale

The Sphinx LDT

Post by Rich Beale »

Another interesting Long Distance Trial last weekend, ‘The Sphinx’, hosted by the Cheltenham Homeguard Club.

Myself and Trev were up Bright Eyed & Bushy Tailed and had time at the start time for breakfast.. the event starts on a farm with an outbuilding for registration, food n drink.

The day consisted of a 55 mile lap and 30 sections - plenty of varied trails but not that taxing.. at one point, much to my alarm, we were on the Fossway - I hates it, too flat, no rock !!

Despite being a ‘short’ 55 mile lap, we were out from 9 til 4, partly as a result of Trev insisting on changing a tube, me stopping to eat and Ian (Fews) joining us and spending a fair bit of time investigating the shrubbery..

The sections were mainly loose, off camber climbs, thick muddy ruts and only one that I’d call ‘meat & drink’.. section 13 ! a rocky gully that you enter via a deep rut.
- Trev didn’t like the look of that rut.. and attempted a ‘high line’.. but hit a branch and face-planted into the rocks.. OUCH! there was Claret everywhere !!
In sympathy the observer offered Trev another attempt.. No chance, Trev was off - ‘once bitten, twice shy’.

Overall I thought the sections were great, do-able and only 3 that were a bit heart stopping .. with steep muddy climbs with turns, roots, steep descents.. . Yikes!!
But we did them all.
Club Honour was upheld.

The observers and organisers couldn’t of been more friendly and helpful.. one observer went nuts when I cleaned the nasty climb - I reckon he thought me and my old Honda were going to come to grief!!

The feeling of completing these events is fantastic! Getting back to the start, with body & bike in one piece and chatting with the other finishers is rewarding.

When the dust had settled, Trev came home 3rd in his Class and I was 4th in mine.
Ian was a DNF ( probably at risk of a Court Marshal by Manty ).

The Moor to Sea is next, in two weeks.
Bring it on!!

Rich B

Ian Abram

Re: The Sphinx LDT

Post by Ian Abram »

Rich Beale wrote:Another interesting Long Distance Trial last weekend, ‘The Sphinx’, hosted by the Cheltenham Homeguard Club.

Myself and Trev were up Bright Eyed & Bushy Tailed and had time at the start time for breakfast.. the event starts on a farm with an outbuilding for registration, food n drink.

The day consisted of a 55 mile lap and 30 sections - plenty of varied trails but not that taxing.. at one point, much to my alarm, we were on the Fossway - I hates it, too flat, no rock !!

Despite being a ‘short’ 55 mile lap, we were out from 9 til 4, partly as a result of Trev insisting on changing a tube, me stopping to eat and Ian (Fews) joining us and spending a fair bit of time investigating the shrubbery..

The sections were mainly loose, off camber climbs, thick muddy ruts and only one that I’d call ‘meat & drink’.. section 13 ! a rocky gully that you enter via a deep rut.
- Trev didn’t like the look of that rut.. and attempted a ‘high line’.. but hit a branch and face-planted into the rocks.. OUCH! there was Claret everywhere !!
In sympathy the observer offered Trev another attempt.. No chance, Trev was off - ‘once bitten, twice shy’.

Overall I thought the sections were great, do-able and only 3 that were a bit heart stopping .. with steep muddy climbs with turns, roots, steep descents.. . Yikes!!
But we did them all.
Club Honour was upheld.

The observers and organisers couldn’t of been more friendly and helpful.. one observer went nuts when I cleaned the nasty climb - I reckon he thought me and my old Honda were going to come to grief!!

The feeling of completing these events is fantastic! Getting back to the start, with body & bike in one piece and chatting with the other finishers is rewarding.

When the dust had settled, Trev came home 3rd in his Class and I was 4th in mine.
Ian was a DNF ( probably at risk of a Court Marshal by Manty ).

The Moor to Sea is next, in two weeks.
Bring it on!!

Rich B
Good report where are the pictures?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Rich Beale

Post by Rich Beale »

This is competition FD!
We don’t have time to pose for photos...

Ian Abram

Post by Ian Abram »

Rich Beale wrote:This is competition FD!
We don’t have time to pose for photos...
Yes but really you should get photos so we the enduro bike owners can look on in wonder

Mike Mant

Post by Mike Mant »

Well done guys . wish I could have been there. Looking forward to the Moor to Sea. Meat and Drink with mushy peas. Is ian Fews Doing it??? ian Abram wont be . I've heard he a Veggie.

Ian Abram

Post by Ian Abram »

Mike Mant wrote:Well done guys . wish I could have been there. Looking forward to the Moor to Sea. Meat and Drink with mushy peas. Is ian Fews Doing it??? ian Abram wont be . I've heard he a Veggie.
Hope you meat boy's have a great time I shall be in Leeds checking out the Dales for a future run

Mike Mant

Post by Mike Mant »

Well done ian . Not a lot of trails in the dales , 2006 NERC act saw to that. Still you can be known as Mrs Dales Diary and show us the way.