Ascot joint run with Loddon Vale TRF

tell us all about your ride
Mike Wain

Ascot joint run with Loddon Vale TRF

Post by Mike Wain »

In glorious weather Chris B and I joined with Dave and Dan in the London commuter belt to try out the untried final 60 mile loop of my forthcoming 150 mile "Day at the races" summer 2021 ride from Swindon to Ascot and back, with a little local knowledge to guide us if we ran into problems with it. Starting in Reading we quickly ran into a problem as my clutch cable broke. Luckily we found a bike shop in Reading that had a cable repair kit and got going again after a 90 minute 'early lunch break' with big thanks to Dave for going to collect it. After that it was all plain sailing on lanes that mostly appeared to have not been used by motorcycles very much at all.... Well, plain fording actually! 4 huge fords, 2 we did, 1 used the footbridge as looked way too deep and 1 completely ducked as no way round and Dave estimated it would probably be about 5' deep, but luckily this was just after the final lane of the shortened route! Although there were a couple of longish tarmac links in and out of the Ascot area we all agreed it was a great route, very interesting and different to what we're used to anywhere in the West!
So, here's a couple of video grab pics Chris took:
OMG, will I make it?  Will it keep getting deeper?
OMG, will I make it? Will it keep getting deeper?
MeInDeep.JPG (50.16 KiB) Viewed 9318 times
Success!  We all got through OK!
Success! We all got through OK!
MeInFord.JPG (189.88 KiB) Viewed 9318 times
And here's a link to a whole series of fab images that Dave took! NB, only the 1st 15 images are from this ride.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dave6688/ ... 7388121432
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike: TTR250 & PE175 & Freeride 250R

Chris Barrable

Re: Ascot joint run with Loddon Vale TRF

Post by Chris Barrable »

Well said Mike. Thanks for a great day out. Looking forward to the longer summer version with a gloriously English pub lunch!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk