Salisbury Plain Surprise 19/5/21

tell us all about your ride
Mike Wain

Salisbury Plain Surprise 19/5/21

Post by Mike Wain »

Chris B, JD and I left the Tog Hill layby 0945, dodged rain showers for about 140 miles and 10 hours, but got wetter from the huge amounts of standing water than what was falling from the sky, the heaviest of that being hail! Mostly sunny wherever we happened to be though and managed to spend one of the 2 showers that did catch us under the canopy of Burbage petrol station. I'd found my battery flat as I was about to leave as had forgotten to switch my USB off after the last ride and then discovered that running the bike and LED running light, plus charging my phone running viewranger equals a very slow battery recovery, then the power lead kept falling out of the phone, but somehow it kept going mostly on 1%! Luckily I'd given Chris the route as he had to lead one short bit when it conked out completely, but nothing slowed us down seriously. Switched to my back up battery pack for the phone and the bike battery started charging then. We went through an Army exercise where a tank crew watched us take on a huge water filled hole they'd made in a byway, we got overflown by a Hawk taking off from Boscombe Down as we rode through the runway end lights and JD finally worked out what the surprise is when we were at the place were you see my bike below! Chris twice told me he'd never done that last lane - then I reminded him that he did the same ride with me last year the other way round!
But they do say the world seems very different after Covid!!!
Attachments
On the final run back up the Fosse towards Tog Hill
On the final run back up the Fosse towards Tog Hill
5 gates.jpg (267.65 KiB) Viewed 11008 times
Berwick St James, where JD was surprised!
Berwick St James, where JD was surprised!
BSTJAMES.JPG (181.25 KiB) Viewed 11008 times
Me in the middle of nowhere
Me in the middle of nowhere
KDEVERIL.JPG (146.6 KiB) Viewed 11008 times
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike: TTR250 & PE175 & Freeride 250R

Chris Barrable

Re: Salisbury Plain Surprise 19/5/21

Post by Chris Barrable »

Well said Mike. A lovely long day. Always good to reverse a route that way it all looks like a new route!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ian Trevor Brooking

Re: Salisbury Plain Surprise 19/5/21

Post by Ian Trevor Brooking »

nice report thanks mike
Beta Enduro Motorcycle Dealer for Bristol Classic Enduro
Beta 200RR Racing
Scorpa T Ride
Yamaha WR 250 2T 1991
Yamaha RD500 LC
if only there was one bike that did it all